Tuesday 8 November 2011

Nearly a month!

I can't believe it is nearly a month since I last blogged!  I have been having lots of visitors and the house has been demanding lots of attention.  (more about that soon)  We had a lovely holiday at the end of September.  We spent the week of the heatwave in Kelso, visiting loads of places and having a bit of R&R.


 We spent one day at Bamburgh, most of it on the beach.  R loves going to the beach, but our usual haunt is very stony so she thought the sand was wonderful.


She was very brave and went for a dip - her verdict - This is Awesome! , I joined her later, it just felt bloomin freezing to me!

Bamburgh Castle
 
Our slightly smaller version, built by Dad, decorated by R







I think everyone enjoyed the day, we finished up at Seahouses for chips and ice-cream, no day at the beach is complete without it. 
 We visited the Heatherslaw railway and went for a ride on the wee engine called Bunty, the kids all loved it and I suspect the adults did too.

Another glorious day and we went to Floors Castle in Kelso.  KP, R and I had a great time running about in the garden laid out in the initials of the owners, and then spotted the sign saying keep off the grass - oops.

Some of the borders in the walled garden.  Each section was in a different colour, here is the yellow one  and the blue.  There were loads of beautiful flowers which I would love to have in my garden.  Handily enough, there is  a garden centre right in the middle where you can buy all the plants, I think I might have to go back.  The next photo shows my favourite....
 But what is it?  A thistle or an artichoke (we had artichoke plants at the s-catering cottage and it looked very similar)
Turns out it is a cousin of both called a Cardoon.  The flowers were bigger than my fist and the plants were about 6 foot tall - brilliant ;-)

Last but not least was Jedforest Farm Park where they had the cutest miniature donkeys.  I could have taken them all home, soooo sweet ( but I do have a thing for donkeys)


Well that was our wee holiday, fun packed and sunny - what more could you want.  We got home and felt we needed another holiday to recover.  It was nice to visit all those places though and spend time with all the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment